Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Universal Essential

As many of you know, I love Starbucks!! I know it's over-priced and cliche, but it's an indulgence I have. I don't have it everyday, maybe once a week as a treat. (On a regular basis I make coffee at the house and take it into work with me.) For me it's something I can have often enough to feel that I can have something frivolous and not feel like I'm breaking the bank.

Yet, everytime I go I can't help but think that I appear to a yuppie or that I given into the "In" thing to do. A prime example of this was last weekend. As my husband and I (new parents) settled into what we now consider a rockin' Friday night, of reading, playing on the computer or catching up on previously Tivoed shows, I felt the need for a latte. So, at 10:30pm I jumped in the car and headed to Starbucks. I rolled up to a packed parking lot, got my latte via the drive-thru window and headed toward the exit. (Now, keep in mind I am in my car by myself for about 20 minutes on this trip, so of course I'm listening to my music pretty loud, simply because I can.) Had you been in the parking lot that evening you may have seen a short, teenage-looking white girl driving out of Startbucks in a Saturn SL1 will a Skinny Vanilla Latte jammin' to Rollout by Ludacris.

As I realized this, I wondered, "How does this look?" Ridiculous? Stupid? Odd? Hilarious? Probably any or all of these things depending on the spectator. I had to laugh at myself and the situation.

However, I justifed my actions as I thought back on the packed parking lot and the diverse crowd that had flocked to Starbucks to fulfill their indulgence. I felt even better today, as I gave into my need once again, this time for a Caramel Frappaccino. As I waited at the light to turn left, I saw a young teenager dressed in over-sized black jeans, a black shirt and many spike -covered wrist bands......In his hands was a Starbucks cup. It was then that relief hit. I wasn't some silly yuppie or guilty of falling victim to some horrible fad. I was one of many that HAD to my coffee fix every now and then. I was simply having the Universal Essential, Starbucks.

1 comment:

  1. I can honestly say I have NEVER given that much thought to my Starbucks purchases. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete