Sunday, August 16, 2009

Not Sure What to Think

As you many of you know, I am the proud mother of a beautiful 6 month old girl, Mackenzie! Unfortunately, we did not win the lottery before I the end of my maternity leave (shocker I know!!), so she is in day care. Now, don't get me wrong, day care is a wonderful way to take of kids and allow them to interact with others and to learn and grow, but like most Moms, I would love to be at home with her. Also, Chris and I really like our day care and feel totally comfortable leaveing her in their care.

Well, I pick her up from day care on Thursday and when I get home I start the ritual of getting ready for the next day of work and day care. For Mackenzie, we pack her bottles in a lunch box and all her extras, like a pacifier, bibs, burp cloth, change of clothes, etc in a little diaper bag. As I am getting her bag ready for the next day I see some papers inside. I take them out and begin to read. The papers are a notification letter and form for a day care fundraiser. We have been asked to sell a few pastries to help raise money for supplies. It's not a lot, we've been asked to sell just five.

However, I'm not sure what to think. I'm not offended or anything, but I guess I just thought that kind of thing happened when your kids were older. Maybe I'm showing my ignorance as a new mom, but I really was surprised. I know that our money goes to pay, not only for salaries and bills, but for toys, cleaning products, cleaning equipment, craft supplies, snacks, etc. And I know times are hard and this is a relatively easy way to bring in some funds, but I was still not expecting it.

Still not sure how to feel about this, but needless to say, we will try to sell our 5 pastries. I don't want to be "that mom" who won't help out these poor innocent children who just want a toy to play with and some crayons to color with.

Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

  1. Giiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrllllll you KNOW I got me a sweet tooth!!! Count me in on one of those pastries. Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete